Let’s Talk. Today I posted this word picture on FaceBook. Your feelings are directly associated with your thoughts. It is also important to understand that our heart and thoughts are directly connected.
Some would say that our circumstances control our feelings. I beg to differ. Life is lived from within. Therefore, we are in full control of what we choose to do and how we choose to feel.
I adore what Dr. Vikto Frankl is noted for saying: “The one thing you cannot take away from me is the way I choose to respond to what you do to me. The last of one’s freedom is to choose one’s attitude in any given circumstance.”
In my mind, a great discovery is that feelings can be controlled under any circumstance, and we don’t have to control them alone.
Here are the ten attitudes to embrace:
1. First, you must understand the connection between your feelings, your thought life, and your behavior. If you want to control your feelings you must first control your thought life.
2. Whatever thoughts you entertain the behavior will follow.
3. If you want to control your feelings you must also change your behavior. Uncontrollable behavior naturally causes accusing thoughts that will result in depressed feelings.
4. You cannot believe and embrace every thought that comes to your mind.
5. Process your thoughts before getting out of bed. Begin programming your thinking for any given situation.
6. Always size up your thoughts and behaviors with godly principles.
7. Choose to pray for guidance. Ask God to help you to think His thoughts. You want His grace to help you renovate and restore your life within. Your behavior and feelings will follow.
8. Confront secret fears, self-defeating behaviors and imposter feelings with all you truly are. Yes, you must be bold.
9. Plan your thoughts. Think habitually. Write a list of things you choose to think about. Read them aloud.
10. Choose to think and meditate only on what is good, just, pure, virtuous and praiseworthy. Will there be a battle? Absolutely! But you have victorious power within you!
When your mind tends to drift back to its old way of thinking and those ugly feelings try to sneak in, say this out loud, “I refuse to think that way.”
When you refuse the thought, you refuse the behavior and you will ultimately control the feeling.
Question: What will you do this week to control those unwanted feelings?
What did I miss? What are other ways to activate and acknowledge self-empowerment? Share in the comments below.
Share this post with your friends on FaceBook, Twitter and other social sites.
© Deana Murphy Global
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR EZINE OR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete blurb with it:
LifeDesign Specialist and Catalyst Dr. Deana Murphy helps modern high-achieving women DesignWith™, bring order to chaos and make life easier. Get Dr. Deana’s ‘25 Mistakes the High-Achieving Woman Makes that Will Kill Her Success’ and other free downloads at DeanaMurphyGlobal.com